Meditteranean Influenced Summer Cuisine

Among the things that I like to do: I LOVE to cook. I started from a very young age helping my mother in the kitchen. My first dish was overcooked pasta that had caked over in the pan. I'm proud to say I'm a little bit better than that nowadays. In high school, my mom would let me cook whatever I wanted once a week or at least a few times a month. I made savory cornbread, attempted scones, even a souffle. While some were successful, other attempts were less glamorous. I enjoy experimentation in the kitchen: taking a basic approach and making my own recipe with whatever I have in the fridge. I find that it is a much more creative exploration if you challenge yourself to only what you have already. With that note, I bring you my new creation that I loved so much I wanted to write about it.



This past week, my friend had a BBQ where he made masala BBQ chicken. I incorporated leftover chicken, but you can really use whatever protein you want. For the main course: I made roasted summer squash and mushrooms with a chicken couscous. I made poached pear with a whiskey cream sauce.

Ingredients (main course): 
  • Summer squash, sliced
  • Mushrooms, washed and quartered
  • Italian herb blend
  • minced garlic clove
  • oil 
  • red chilli powder 
  • chopped fresh basil
  • any kind of couscous you like ( I used Israeli Pearl Couscous)
  • cumin seeds
  • black pepper
  • lime juice
  •  little bit of butter (can omit) 
  • chopped leftover chicken
Ingredients for Poached Pears in Whiskey cream sauce: 
  • One pear. peeled, cored, and quartered
  • whiskey, one shot
  • amaretto liquor, a dash
  • pinch of the following: dried lavender, cinnamon, cloves, cardamon seeds
  • a dash of honey (about a teaspoon)
First, I preheated the oven to 375 degrees. I tossed the squash and mushrooms in a quick marinade. The marinade was oil (about a tablespoon), chilli powder (add as much or as little as you'd like), some black pepper, salt, and minced garlic. Once I tossed the veggies well, I spread them on a baking sheet. To reduce cleanup, I lined the sheet with aluminum foil. The veggies baked for about 15 minutes or until golden. While they were baking, I heated a saucepan with a small amount of oil. To it, I added couscous, cumin seeds and Italian herb blend. I toasted it for a few minutes before adding chilli powder since I like spicy food. I added the chopped chicken at this point and toasted it for a minute more. Then, I added a little butter and some water and brought the couscous to a boil. When the water almost entirely evaporated, I took it off the heat and added chopped basil and lime juice.

For dessert, I only had fruit so I had to be creative. I decided first to roast the pears, but I didn't want to wait 30 minutes. In retrospect, I should've just roasted it because the pears would've came out crispy and a little bit more caramelized natural sugars. I instead decided to cook the pears in a whiskey based sauce. To make the sauce, I added some amaretto liquor and a shot of whiskey to a small base of butter. I whisked in some honey. To flavor the sauce, I added cinnamon, cardamon, cloves,  and dried lavender flowers.  I added the pears and let it simmer in the sauce. After about ten minutes, everything had reduced and become sweet. I took it off the heat, added about three tablespoons (or a really big dash) of vanilla soy milk. I garnished with some fresh basil.

Its really simple and delightful for the summer heat.


This entry was posted in ,,,,,,. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Thanks for reading--The Blogger =)